Designer: Janna Wilson
Freshen up your bedroom décor with simple, classy pillow cases made from your favorite fabrics. It only takes 2 yards of 44-45” fabric to liven up your space and make two new designer pillow cases. This design features romantic scalloped edges and button accents. The scallop edges are a snap, just pull out your Fiskars Circle Cutter and you’re ready to roll! Rotary cutting the fabric pieces makes this project in a hurry because you can cut several layers of fabric at once. Let’s get started and I’ll show you how easy it is!
Designer: Janna Wilson
Instructions (Print version)
Important Notes: ALL seam allowances are ½”
A standard size pillow case measures 20” x 26”
You may want to launder fabrics before sewing your project. I made my case with a decorator weight fabric, so it has more body than quilt or cotton fabric might. Consider this when choosing fabrics.
1. Rotary cut the following pieces of fabric for each pillow case you wish to sew:
a. Main fabric piece – 21” x 48”
b. Accent/scallop fabric piece – (4) 6” x 21”
2. Cut a 5” circle from scrap cardstock…create a template to make 4” scallops by cutting 1” from edge of circle (see image below).
3. Find and mark the center of the 21” length of two of the 6” x 21” strips (working on the WRONG side of the fabric). Place acrylic ruler 3 ½” from lower edge and begin tracing scallop pattern in the center of the strip. There will be an excess of ½” on each end that will be for the seam allowance.
4. Stitch along the lines you’ve traced; clip away excess and clip corners and curves being careful not to clip through stitching.
5. Press the seams before turning right side out; turn right side out and press.
TIP: Insert a cardstock or chipboard circle between the fabric layers to help shape the scallops as you press.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 to create a second scallop fabric piece (you need two per pillow case).
7. Lay scallop edge piece onto one end of main fabric (right sides together) and stitch. Turn seam away from scallop and press. Repeat with the second scallop edge piece on the other end of the main fabric piece.
8. Fold pillow case RIGHT sides together and stitch side seams closed. Stitch again 1/8” from first seam in seam allowance.
Trim seam with pinking shears to help reduce fraying.
9. Stitch on button accents if desired. You could make buttons closures if desired. Add standard size pillow and go make your bed!
Fiskars Brands: 94817797 No. 5 Micro-Tip® Scissors
Fiskars Brands: 12-99117797 No. 8 Soft Touch Scissors
Fiskars Brands: 95217097 45mm Rotary Cutter
Fiskars Brands: 12-83727097 24” x 36” Mat
Fiskars Brands: 12-87287097 3.5” x 18.5” Acrylic Ruler
Fiskars Brands: 93807097 Circle Cutter
Fiskars Brands: 94457097 Pinking Shears
Other: fabric (about 2 yards to make TWO pillow cases); sewing machine and thread; scrap cardstock/chipboard; needle; (3) buttons; iron and ironing board; fabric pen/pencil